The Village of Kaslo is the oldest incorporated community in the Kootenays, and is located 70 kilometers north of Nelson on Highway 31 on the western shore of Kootenay Lake. With a rich and colourful history, this community is also accessible by boat or through its small airfield.
In the early 1890s, the owners of the future townsite, David Kane and G. O. Buchanan, sold off lots to incoming miners drawn by the area's rich silver deposits. Kaslo quickly became a thriving community, and was incorporated as a city on August 14, 1893. It was an important silver ore mining and transshipment boomtown, boasting a population of 3,000.
In 1898, Kaslo's municipal affairs were being conducted from its new Village Hall, one of only two wooden municipal buildings still in use as a seat of government in Canada. This historically intact building is recognized by the federal government as a National Historic Site. In the same year, the sternwheeler S.S. Moyie started her service to and from Kaslo, and this beautifully restored vessel now graces the downtown shoreline.