Main content of the website

Business License Information


Any person owning or operating a business within the Village of Kaslo must first obtain a valid Business Licence. This applies to all retail and commercial establishments, management and professional firms, home-based businesses, tourist accommodations, short-term rentals and other operations. Different licence fees apply, depending on the type of business - check the Fees & Charges bylaw for current rates.


A Business Licence is only issued for activities that comply with Village regulations, which vary by the type of business being conducted - the categories are established in Business Licence Bylaw 1260. The Zoning Bylaw regulates which business activities are permitted in each land use zone. Prior to issuing a Business Licence, the Village of Kaslo may require approval from an outside agency such as Interior Health or the Liquor and Cannabis Regulation Branch (see details below).

Changes to your Licence

Business owners are required to notify the Village of Kaslo of any changes to their business licence. In order to avoid incorrect charges for the coming year, updates to an existing business licence should be made no later than November 30th, in writing, to the Village Office.

Interior Health Permits 

Health approval or a Permit to Operate may be required for the following types of businesses:

  • Food Premises (includes restaurants, tasting rooms, mobiles, food stores, food manufacturing/processing, etc.)
  • Pools, Hot Tubs and Spray Parks (excluding those for only a single family dwelling)
  • Personal Service Establishments (where a person provides a service to, or on, the body of another person, such as tattooing or piercing)
  • Tobacco and Vapour Retail Facilities
  • Community Care Homes and Child Care Facilities

If your business falls into one of the categories listed above, you should review the Interior Health website and follow the links to the applicable program area, before starting any of the following:

  • New facilities or events
  • Ownership changes
  • Closures
  • Location moves
  • Renovations/construction

Liquor and Cannabis Licensing

Liquor and Cannabis licences are issued by the Liquor and Cannabis Regulation Branch (LCRB) of the Provincial Government. However, the LCRB will not issue new licences or amend existing licences without the support of local government. Please review the Village's LIQUOR AND CANNABIS RETAIL LICENSING PROCEDURE for more details. 


The Village of Kaslo is participating in the Kootenay Inter-Community Business Licence Program. The ICBL (an additional $100) allows mobile businesses and trades to operate in multiple municipalities, under one license, rather than obtaining non-resident licenses from each municipality.  The number of communities covered by the ICBL is growing. To purchase an ICBL, you must first purchase a valid municipal businesses licence from one of the participating communities:

Castlegar, Creston, Grand Forks, Kaslo, Nelson, New Denver, Rossland, Salmo, Silverton, Slocan